Restore failed "Unknown character set 'utf8mb4'"

I know the reason for the error. It is because I am trying to restore using an older version of the mysql engine. I am looking at promoting this product for dozens of my customers all across the US using older versions of the server. I would like to be able to have this program not use the newest character set. Is there a setting somewhere where this can be changed?

I did just find a post that suggested that the default character set is in fact utf8, which must not be true. In any case I set the command line parameter to --default-character-set=utf8 and it still gives me the same error on restore.

Hi Doug,

Could you please clarify, what version of MySQL do you use? Also, please confirm that you use utf8 encoding?

Currently, we are working to improve the restore option for MySQL Server where that issue should be resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The version is 5.1.72. The default encoding is actually latin1. The problem is with the backup, not the restore. My server can handle utf8, but your program is not making a utf8 backup. When I pull up the sql file it creates is is clearly encoded utf8mb4 when I told it to use utf8. The problem (and I have to believe that it would be a fairly common occurrence) that the version of the database backed up from is different from the database restore to. The database backed up from is 5.2.2.

Thanks for the details. SQLBackupAndFTP performers backups of MySQL Server databases via mysqldump utility. By default, it uses ut8 encoding which can be overridden by the following parameter --default-character-set at the “MySQL Backup Options” window at the “Extra command line parameters” box.

You can find what parameters are used if enable advanced log, reproduce the issue, open your advanced log via any text editor and search for –

To enable the advanced log please click on “Tools” > “Advanced Log…” > “Log enabled”.

To open the advanced log please click on “Tools” > “Advanced Log…” > “Open folder”.

We recommend you to change manually from utf8 to utf8mb4. To do it just open your backup file via a text editor and replace it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.