SQLBackup Service fails to start

Hi All,

Have had no issued with SQL Back but suddenly today the service fails to start.

I get this message when I try to restart the Service

sc.exe stop “SQLBackupAndFTP Client Service”
[SC] ControlService FAILED 1062:

The service has not been started.

sc.exe start “SQLBackupAndFTP Client Service” -keepLogLocal True -isServiceLocal True

Hi Kevin,

To investigate this case we need more details. Could you please check your Windows Event Logs (Application and System) are there any error messages related to SQLBackupAndFTP?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I am getting the same error message. Below is the error message from the Windows Event Log:

There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/pranasnet/net/sbf/Config/Net.pranasnet.sbf.Config that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. > The pipe endpoint ‘net.pipe://localhost/pranasnet/net/sbf/Config/Net.pranasnet.sbf.Config’ could not be found on your local machine.

Hi Josh,

Could you please tell us, do you use any antivirus or software that is responsible for the security on your server? If yes, please try to disable it for a while and try again.

If it doesn’t help, please tell us what OS do you use, is it a VM? Also, could you please check your Windows Event Log (Application and System) are there any error messaged related to SQLBackupAndFTP?

I have made sure there is no antivirus enabled on the computer.

Windows Event Log -> Application Error:

There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/pranasnet/net/sbf/Config/Net.pranasnet.sbf.Config that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details. > The pipe endpoint ‘net.pipe://localhost/pranasnet/net/sbf/Config/Net.pranasnet.sbf.Config’ could not be found on your local machine.

Windows Event Log -> System Error:

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the SQLBackupAndFTP (SQL Server backup) service to connect.

The SQLBackupAndFTP (SQL Server backup) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the details.

For the correct work of SQLBackupAndFTP .NET Framework version 4.6.0 or above should be installed on your computer. You can download the latest version of .NET Framework at https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework-runtime

Could you please try to install it and check if it resolves the issue?

I have verified that .NET 4.7 is installed.

Thanks for the clarification. Could you please try to install SQLBackupAndFTP for older .NET Framework versions and test if it works? You can download it at the “Download” https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download page by clicking the “SQLBackupAndFTP for older .NET Framework v4.0.0” link.

Thanks Alexander. But installing the older version also gives me the error that it cannot start the service.

Thanks for the reply.

We have many customers who use SQLBackupAndFTP on Windows 7 without any issues, we can recommend you the following:

1. Try to perform “check disk” command (CHKDSK)
  2. Try to reinstall .NET Framework https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/dotnet-framework-runtime
  3. Install to your server all crucial updates from Microsoft