"Random" Access Denied on save destination

Hi All,
I have a nightly backup from MSSQL on a Server 2003 (which we’re stuck with) that saves to both a local and a network drive, which is on a Synology NAS. The local always works fine. The network drive fails every night, but not always at the same point.

About 5 nights a week, it will successfully save the backup file to the network drive, but then fail when it goes to clean the old files from this drive with “Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password”. About two nights per week, it will be unable to save the file to the drive with the same failure message.

Obviously, the credentials are correct since it is sometimes able to save the file, so I know that is not the issue. My guess is that it is because of the old OS, but if there’s a way I can remedy that without having to upgrade the OS, which is not an option, I would love to get rid of my daily automatic help desk ticket for the failure. My last resort will be to use robocopy to copy the file and manage retention.

Since it is a Server 2003 machine, I have sqlbackupandftp upgraded as far as it can go to version 11.3.12.

Thanks!

Hi Tim_Haslett,

Sorry, but you use a very old version of SQLBackupAndFTP that is no longer supported.

If it is possible, please install the Alpha edition http://sqlbackupandftp.com/download/alpha and check if it works for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I realize that. That’s why I’m asking on the forum to see if anyone has encountered this issue and figured it out. I’m not looking for official support.
Does the alpha version work on Server 2003 with .Net 4.0? Regardless, since this is a production server, I’m not going to try an alpha version on it.

Hi Tim_Haslett,

Yes, you are right, to run the Alpha edition .NET Framework version 4.6.0 or above should be installed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.