Need to software and have a few questions

Came across this SQL backup software and had a few questions.

Little background on our setup. It’s a Windows server 2022 machine running SQL server 2014 Express with only one SQL database. We might be switching to SQL server 2022 Express soon.

1. Can I set two different backup methods? For example, a local and back blaze at the same time?

2. Is there any way after a backup for it to test the backup of file itself? From whatever it’s a good rule of thumb to always check your SQL backup files.

Hello Randy,

1. Yes, you can set multiple destinations for your backup job.
  2. You can consider using the RESTORE VERIFYONLY and CHECKSUM options. More information can be found here: RESTORE VERIFYONLY and CHECKSUM options | SQLBackupAndFTP's blog

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

@Alexander

Is there an option to also backup non-SQL folders and files? Reason I ask is because on these workstations I need to backup SQL database (2014 express) and a specific folder for the software which uses SQL. Trying to minimize the amount of backup software being used.

Also, do I have to change anything in the Windows 11 power settings so the PC doesn’t go into Hibernation or Sleep when it backs up around 9pm every night?

@Alexander Hey Alexander, just following up to see if a response may be provided. We plan to backup on 2 separate machines their SQL databases onto our local drive. Then I have a backup software that will transfer that file to our local NAS. I just need to make sure the Lite version can restore verifyonly and checksum as well. Please confirm.

Hello Randy,

With SQLBackupAndFTP, you can back up local files and folders along with your databases. You can find that option in the “Backup folders” section.

Additionally, please ensure that your computer is turned on to ensure that your backups are performed successfully.

For more details about the restore process, you can refer to the following link: How to Restore SQL Server Backups | SQLBackupAndFTP's blog

Wow, that’s actually a nice feature that it’s not fully dedicated to SQL file backups only.

I set a backup role, but noticed last night at 8:00 PM it didn’t do the backup. The PC was on, sleep & hibernation is disabled.

Does this software set a scheduled task, service, or have an icon that runs next to the Windows Time/Date?

Attached is the backup we set every 24hr at 8:00PM. Wondering why it says “Never”? Does that mean it’s never ran this job at that time?

Hello Randy,

Could you please check your Advanced Backup Schedule settings? It’s possible that you enabled the “Run between” option, but the time you set in the “First full backup start” doesn’t align with the time interval you set in the “Run between” option. Could you please verify this?

Thank you, and apologies for the inconvenience.

Yup! That’s what it was.

Now if we want a maximum of 30 or 60 days of full backups where do we set the limit?

Nice software by the way!

Hi Randy,

You can find the option to set the backup retention settings within your destination settings.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you for using SQLBackupAndFTP.

It worked!

Now if we’d like to set a limit of 30 full backups, and on day 31 it deletes the oldest backup and starts a new one. Would that be here?

backup

Hello Randy,

Yes, if you set to remove old backups after 30 days, on the 31st day, the backups that were made 30 days ago will be deleted.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!