FTP Destination Error: Timeout exceeded - only happens to schedules

Hi.

I’m trying SQLBackupAndFTP (Professional Trial v12.2.3) and something weird happens with schedules, I say this because if I trigger the process manually this issue never happens. The title sums the issue, but what bothers me is that it always errors out at 99% of the same DB (8GB) and resumes the last percent successfully 2 hours later. So really the backup is always successful but instead of taking 15 minutes it takes 2 hours and 15 minutes because of this weird timeout. Whenever I trigger the same backup task manually it is carried out successfully.

Another thing that I find hilariously idiotic is that when the schedule is running, the upload speed is capped at 1MB/s, but if I open SQLBackupAndFTP GUI then the speed starts raising immediately up to 10MB/s (max for the connection). How does this make any sense?

Any thoughts on any of this?

Hi ner0,

Thanks for the issue reporting.

To investigate this case we need more details. Could you please enable the advanced log, reproduce the issue (when everything works smoothly and when a back job takes much time to perform a backup) and sen the logs to our dev team. Here are more detailson on how to do it: https://sqlbackupandftp.com/blog/how-to-send-log-to-developers

Please let us know when the logs will be sent, also please provide us with your Application ID (“Help” > “About”).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the reply, @Alexander.

One thing I can say is that this was tested on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with no issues, but did present the issue mentioned on another server with Windows Server 2012 R2.

I’ll try the advanced logging and let you know.

@Alexander, I just sent the log file, here is the ID: 981aa382-3954-402c-8034-7af92bc25704

Additional information:

15:44 - Closed SBF.Application GUI and speed dropped from 10MB/s to 1MB/s
15:46 - Opened SBF.Application GUI and speed raised from 1MB/s to 10MB/s
15:48 - Closed SBF.Application GUI and speed dropped from 10MB/s to 1MB/s
15:50 - Opened SBF.Application GUI and speed raised from 1MB/s to 10MB/s
15:52 - Canceled backup job w a speed of 10MB/s

These events seem to match to logged ones, when GUI is closed and speed drops:

|DEBUG|43|Pranas.Net.SqlBak.Service.SBF.DesktopAppService|Unsubscribe

And when GUI is opened and speed increases:

|DEBUG|7|Pranas.Net.SqlBak.Service.SBF.DesktopAppService|Subscribe

NOTE: Speed averages calculated by SBF are very innacurate in short time-frames

Hi ner0,

Thank you very much for your researching. Please give us some time to check this issue.

Hello ner0,

We weren’t able to reproduce this issue on 100% but some issues with the low speed with opened UI were founded and resolved in SQLBackupAndFTP Alpha version https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download/alpha could you please download it, install and check if the issue is resolved?

Unfortunately I can’t seem to test this alpha, after running it it keeps displaying the following message: “Initializing the application”. I’ve restarted the service, restarted the machine and it keeps showing the same message.

By the way, my original issue was the exact opposite of what you said: “some issues with the low speed with opened UI were founded and resolved”; the issues I had was low speed when the UI is closed, not open.

Hi ner0,

Thanks for the details.

Please give us some time to check the issue.

Hello ner0,

We have added some changes to SQLBackupAndFTP Alpha version could you please install it https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download/alpha and check if the issue is resolved?

If you still have this issue, please send us your Windows Event Log (Application and System) to check the issue. To make it private, please send it to support@sqlbackupandftp.com