Failed to backup database: One or more errors occurred. > Cannot open backup device. Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.)

Hello,

I’m using SQLBackupAndFTP to make a full MSSQL database backup in a temporary folder and then transfer it to a FTP. Worked like a charm until some days ago - from the 18th I get the error below.

1/21/2021 1:52:41 PM [Info] Starting job "Backup Job - 1 " - “Full”. Server “{{my server}}”. Account “SYSTEM@WORKGROUP”. App v.“12.4.16.9”.
1/21/2021 1:52:41 PM [Info] Connecting to: 2014 SP3 Enterprise Edition (64-bit). (default).
1/21/2021 1:52:42 PM [Info] The backup folder “D:\SQL\Pranas .NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup” has “931.37GB” free space. The temporary folder “C:\Windows\TEMP\SYSTEM\Pranas .NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup” has “49.838GB” free space.
1/21/2021 1:52:42 PM [Info] Backing up “(default)” SQL Server databases.
1/21/2021 1:52:42 PM [Info] Backing up “{{my db}}” database to .bak file. Backup type: “Full”. Checksum: “Disabled”.
1/21/2021 1:52:42 PM [Error] Failed to backup “{{my db}}” database with “Full” backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Cannot open backup device ‘D:\SQL\Pranas .NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup{{my db}}202101211352.bak’. Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. > Cannot open backup device ‘D:\SQL\Pranas .NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup{{my db}}202101211352.bak’. Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Checked user access to the folder D:\SQL\Pranas .NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup, the application user got full access and my current user as well. Tried to download and install the latest alpha, no change.

Please advise

Hi Kim_Engqvist,

To investigate this case we need more information.

Could you please let us know if drive D:\ physical disk or mapped disk?

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello,

Thank you for the response. The D drive is a physical drive. The backup service runs as the windows system user, which got access to the D drive.

When trying to figure out the issue, I removed the D:\Pranas.Net folder, with subfolders, and attempted the backup again. The folder structure was recreated but no backup file created and an identical error log shown.

Hi Kim_Engqvist,

Thank you for the details.

Please give us some time to check the issue. We’ll keep you updated.

Hi Kim_Engqvist,

We tried to reproduce the problem, but we failed, we can confirm that everything works smoothly from our side.

Most likely the issue related to your permission settings. Perhaps the user under whom SQL Server or a backup job runs does not have enough permissions.