ERROR: Job execution error: Failed to execute "sp_addumpdevice" SQL procedure

We run a Full backup every day at midnight. Everything completes fine even the Temp backup file gets deleted from the temp folder.

But we keep getting 1 error saying it Could not delete the physical file and The DeleteFile system function returned error 5 (access is denied). But the File does get deleted and everything looks fine. Even has been uploaded to our cloud and so on. So we just haven’t been worrying about this.

I was just wanting to see if this was some kind of known bug on version 12.7.18

• ERROR: Job execution error: Failed to execute “sp_addumpdevice” SQL procedure. > Logical device 'SqlBak_xxxxx already exists. Could not delete the physical file ‘xxxxx’. The DeleteFile system function returned error 5(Access is denied.).
  • 1:01:07 AM : Deleting temporary files.
  • 1:01:07 AM : ERROR: Job “RMS” finished with “1” errors.

Hello Douglas_Lengel,

To investigate this case, we need more details. Could you please let us know what connection type you are using, Microsoft SQL Server (local or remote)?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

One issue is we still run RMS but still unsure the difference on local vs remote since I would say both. But we run the main DB at our main server location, then have multiple other store locations which run their own DB which then sync with RMS HQ at our main server location.

Hello Douglas_Lengel,

Thank you for the clarification. Please note that it is crucial to use the same connection type for both your backup and restore jobs. There is no way to back up your local SQL Server databases using a local connection and then restore them using a remote connection. For more details about remote backups, please refer to Remote SQL Server backups explained | SQLBackupAndFTP's blog.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you for using SQLBackupAndFTP.

Well there is, because if I every need to repair one of our locations. I’m then transferring the DB to any cloud or my own laptop. Which then I transfer it to the store my self to restore on RMS so actually there is a way.

Hello Douglas_Lengel,

Thank you for your feedback and the provided details.

We are sorry, but that is how SQLBackupAndFTP operates.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you and apologies for any inconvenience.