ERROR: Failed to backup database with "Full" backup type: : Type '' cannot be

Hello,
I just installed the trial version of SQLBackupAndFTP (v12.0.4, Professional Trial) and when I run a backup, it fails with the following details. ERROR: Failed to backup “###” database with “Full” backup type: Type ‘’ cannot be . I do not understand this error.

Additional details about the installation:

• The software is installed on the same machine as the database server
  • The database is MS SQL Server 2016
  • The server is Windows Server 2012
  • The database username and password configured in the software is valid. When I run a test in the “Connect to Server” screen it passes.
  • The network location and username where the .BAK file is delivered is valid. When I run a test in the “Local/Network Folder…” screen it passes.

The full log is below. Please note I masked the server and database name.

Backup Job - 1 backup has failed

Summary (Failed)
Job: Backup Job - 1
Computer: ####
Date: 12/13/2018 1:00:02 AM
Backup type: Full
Backup archive size: 0B
Database count: 0
Data_Mart_Staging Full backup: failed
Next backup: 12/14/2018 1:00:00 AM - Full
Detailed Log:
• 1:00:02 AM : Starting scheduled job "Backup Job - 1 " - “Full”. Computer “####”. App v.“12.0.4”
• 1:00:02 AM : Connecting to SQL Server: 2016 SP1 Standard Edition (64-bit).####
• 1:00:02 AM : The backup folder “F:\MSSQL\Backup” has “498.058GB” free space. The temporary folder “C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SYSTEM\Pranas.NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup” has “28.387GB” free space
• 1:00:02 AM : Backing up “####” SQL Server databases
• 1:00:02 AM : Getting maximum file size…
• 1:00:02 AM : The maximum file size: “”
• 1:00:02 AM : Backing up “###” database to .bak file. Backup type: “Full”. Checksum: “Disabled”
• 1:00:05 AM : Verifying “###” database backup
• 1:00:05 AM : ERROR: Failed to backup “###” database with “Full” backup type: Type ‘’ cannot be .
• 1:00:05 AM : Cleaning up backups of "Backup Job - 1 " job
• 1:00:06 AM : ERROR: Job "Backup Job - 1 " finished with “1” errors

UPDATE: I unchecked “Verify After Backup” in the Backup Options and it worked.

Hi Mark_Dolente,

Thanks for the details. The issue was that the user from behalf you run the backups doesn’t have enough permissions to run the following command:

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = @PathToBackup

Please feel free to contact us on any issues or concerns.

I had the same error even if I uncheck “Verify After Backup”. How to resolve this error ?

Hi Wyzdev,

Could you please make sure that the user from behalf you run the backups has enough permissions to run the following command:

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = @PathToBackup

Also, please make sure you use SQLBackupAndFTP version 12.1.3 https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download

Sorry for the inconvenience.

All of my servers were fine until today. I am now getting this error for most servers. Did you guys push a patch that broke something? It appears the new version is failing on Windows 2012R2 with sql 2014.

I am manually rolling back from 12.3.3 to 12.2.11.4 and it fixes the issue.

To reiterate… this is an example error I am getting when jobs are trying to run full backups on SQL 2014

• 9:06:09 PM : ERROR: Failed to backup “DATABASENAMEHERE” database with “Full” backup type: Type ‘’ cannot be .

Hi Jack_Kernan,

To investigate this case, we need more details. Could you please send us your Advanced log. Here are more details on how to do it: https://sqlbackupandftp.com/blog/how-to-send-log-to-developers

Please let us know when the log will be sent, also please provide us with your Application ID (“Help” > “About”) to identify it.

Hi, I’m also having the same issue - my version is 12.3.3.

It started on Thursday (2 days ago) and nothing else has changed on the server. My application ID is 5f6751d3-f104-4a76-9a2f-c8cead0cdbca and I’ll send the log file through shortly…

Hi Alexander,

Is it possible to fix this error message? I’ve seen this first time in 2018. That “cut” message is impossible to understand.

Hi,

I see the same messages since a few days.
I using the MSSQL remote backup but the application try to access the local data path at the MSSQL Server.

+1 for us too. Again, started just a couple of days ago.

+1 for us. I’d also guess that it’s related to 12.3.3, we haven’t had any problems until maybe a week ago, where larger DB’s would fail with that error message.

Comparing the SQL logs and SBAF logs, it seems that the backup & verify work okay on the MSSQL side, but SBAF at some point gives up waiting for the verify process and it throws the error.

@Alexander: if you need more details / logs, I’ve got them handy - just ping me.

BfN, Konrad

Hi guys,

It was an issue on our side, which is now fixed in the Alpha edition https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download/alpha Could you please download and check if it works?

Hi Alexander,

I have installed the alpha version but I still see the error.

28.01.2020 21:45 Starting job "MSSQL_Backup" - "Full". Computer "****". Account "*****". App v."12.3.3.2". 
28.01.2020 21:45 Connecting to Remote SQL Server: 2017 RTM Enterprise Edition (64-bit). sql.****** 
28.01.2020 21:45 The backup folder "S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup" has "" free space. The temporary folder "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp\SYSTEM\Pranas.NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup" has "69,544GB" free space 
28.01.2020 21:45 Backing up "sql.*****" Remote SQL Server databases 
28.01.2020 21:45 Getting maximum file size... 
28.01.2020 21:45 The maximum file size: "" 
28.01.2020 21:45 For an export to be transactionally consistent, you must ensure either that no write activity is occurring during the export, or that you are exporting from a snapshot of your database. Turn on "Create database snapshot for backup" option at Backup options section for export to be transactionally consistent. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB1***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB2***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB3***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB4***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB5***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB6***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB7***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB8***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB9***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB10***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Failed to backup "***DB11***" database with "Full" backup type: One or more errors occurred. > Could not find a part of the path 'S:\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup'. 
28.01.2020 21:45 Cleaning up backups of "MSSQL_Backup" job 
28.01.2020 21:45 Job "MSSQL_Backup" finished with "11" errors

@ch-mg: your logs look like a complete different problem than the reported one at the beginning of the thread.

@Alexander: the latest alpha version fixed the issue for me. I’ve been able to re-enable the ‘verify’ option on the job and it now successfully backs up large DB’s, again.

28.01.2020 21:00 Backing up “DB” database to .bak file. Backup type: “Full”. Checksum: “Enabled”.
28.01.2020 21:04 Verifying “DB” database backup
28.01.2020 21:12 “DB” database backup successfully completed. Backup type: “Full”.

Thank you for the quick fixing.

BfN, Konrad

Hi ch-mg,

The other changes were added to the Alpha edition, could you please test it https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download/alpha ?

Hi Konrad,

That’s great! Thank you for your reply.

Please feel free to contact us on any issues or concerns.