Destination error: Failed to upload because it is being used by another process

Hello,

I am receiving a transient error that is only affecting one of the multiple database backups on a particular job.

I backup the DB compress it with 7zip and send it to a local network share and also to Amazon S3. The failure happens on the local destination but uploads to S3 fine. Below is the error I receive. Has happened on diff’s and full’s but only on that particular database and only happens out of maybe 1 out of 5 backups.

10/14/2020 1:22:21 PM [Error] Destination error: Failed to upload “\iwthost-vm-file\SQLBACKUPSTEMP\Pranas.NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup\PROD202010141310diff.7z” file to “PROD” folder. > The process cannot access the file ‘\iwthost-vm-file\SQLBACKUPSTEMP\Pranas.NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup\PROD202010141310diff.7z’ because it is being used by another process.

My assumption is 7zip or something else is still holding on to the file but I can’t reconcile while after it fails on the local destination it uploads to S3 fine. Any pointers in the right direction on how to troubleshoot would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Chris_Hunter,

Could you please disable the compression for the test, to check if it resolves the issue?

Sorry for the inconvenience.