Dealing with a full storage device (disk)

An overnight job is not completing. The log suggests that it is trying to compress a backup file. I believe the cause is a lack of storage on the server. I have freed up some space but the job is not making any progress. So the next step is to “restart the service”. Can I confirm a couple of things:

1. The service name to restart (which is current as of early 2023) is “SQLBackupAndFTP (Database backup)”. Is that correct?
  2. It is set to "Automatic start. Can it be set to Automatic (Delayed Start) or does it need to start before the Watchdog service (which is set to Automatic Delayed Start?
  3. It is a rookie error to let the disk fill up but I wonder if there is any way for the job to overcome that issue and/or report it.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Hello Ian,

SQLBackupAndFTP operates in the following manner:

1. It creates a backup file in a temporary folder.
  2. The backup file is then compressed within the temporary folder.
  3. Once the compression is complete, the original backup file is removed.
  4. The compressed backup file is sent to the designated destination locations.
  5. Finally, the compressed backup file is removed from the temporary folder.

This process necessitates having sufficient free space to accommodate both the backup files and the compressed backup files simultaneously.

Please ensure that the SQLBackupAndFTP (Database backup) Windows Service is set to “Automatic” mode.

If the SQLBackupAndFTP (Database backup) Windows Service is functioning correctly, the Watchdog service will stop. The Watchdog service is only initiated during system startup to verify the successful launch of the main service, as well as in the event of a main service crash.

Should you have any additional inquiries, please don’t hesitate to inform us.

Thank you!

Thank you. Restarting the main service has addressed the issue and the backups are working.
All the best, Ian

Hello Ian,

That’s wonderful news! Thank you for the update.

If you have any further issues or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to assist you.