Database character set

Are the databases backed up in their specific character set, ie when backing up multiple databases with utf8mb4 and utf8 ?

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Could you please clarify what server type do you use for the connection, is it MySQL\SQL Server\phpMyAdmin\Remoute SQL\Azure?

MySQL databases on a Linux server and the software is on a Windows 2012 server, both within the same firewall

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the details.

We use mysqldump.exe tool to backup your MySQL Server databases, also during the backup we add the following parameter: –default-character-set=utf8

If you need to specify another encoding you can add the following command –default-character-set=utf8mb4 into the “Extra command line parameters” box.

Unfortunately, there is no way to specify different encodings in one backup job. We recommend you to create several backup jobs, with different encodings.

Excellent, many thanks

Please feel free to contact us on any issues or concerns.

You said “We use mysqldump.exe tool to backup your MySQL Server databases, also during the backup we add the following parameter: --default-character-set=utf8” This doesn’t appear to be the case because when I tried to restore I got an error because I was using an older mysql engine and it said it could not recognize the utf8mb4 character set. This would indicate that this is in fact the default character set. I would suggest that the older character set should be used for better compatibility. If it had been used, I would not be here looking for answers to my problem.

Hi Doug,

We replied to your request in the following thread Restore failed "Unknown character set 'utf8mb4'"