Clustered servers

how the tool works in a case of a clustered servers (2 servers one active and one passive ) with a storage, and the destination is an Azure container.

is the tool should be installed on one server or both of them to make the backup taken correctly if the active server is down?

and is there a possibility of duplicated backups process if the tool installed on two servers?

thank you…

Hello,

SQLBackupAndFTP performs backups using standard T-SQL Commands “BACKUP DATABASE”.

You can apply the same backup strategy as you use to backup Local SQL Server databases.

Each instance should be managed just the same as if it were on a single non clustered system. In other words, each instance should have a dedicated backup drive as a resource in the same cluster group - and that instance would backup to that drive.

SQLBackupAndFTP should be installed on any cluster node in the cluster group.

Thanks for replying ,
my cluster structure is (Active server, Passive server and SAN storage(where the DB exists))
I installed the tool on the passive server but when I start the backup I have an error message says :

ailed to backup “DBTest” database with “Full” backup type: Could not find file ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\DBTest201803121219.bak’.

so what should I do?

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

There are two scenarios when this issue may happen:

1. Local system user or the one that is specified in credentials hasn’t enough permission to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup folder.

2. Backups are stored on the machine where SQLBackupAndFTP isn’t installed. Please try to install the application on the other server, on the active one, and check if it resolves the issue.