Cannot connect to localhost on different port

Hi - I want to restore an image to my local SQL Server 2019.

My local database is running in a Docker image using port 11433 instead of the default.

When selecting “Restore to Microsoft SQL Server (local)” I enter localhost:11433 as the server and the user name and password and click “Test connection”. However the connecting dialog just sits there. Apparently it cannot connect to the database.

I am able to connect to my Docker based database using SSMS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Thomas

Hello Thomas_Michael_Koch,

To resolve the issue, please try to use for your backup and restore jobs “Microsoft SQL Server (remote)” as your server type during the connection settings.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi - sorry for not answering sooner.

I am able to connect to my local Docker using “Microsoft SQL Server (remote)” with tcp:127.0.0.1,11433 as the servername.

However - I cannot restore the image using this option. It complains that the archive I am trying to restore does not contain a valid database backup file.

I suspect that this is caused by the database that I want to restore to is on a Docker and is considered “remote”.

Kind regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the details.

Sorry, but it’s not possible to do it with SQLBackupAndFTP. However, you can achieve it using our other backup tool, SqlBak. Please find more details at Docker

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Alexander - no problem.

I have managed to solve it by copying the bak file from SQL Backup and FTP into the Docker container, and then restoring from SSMS.

Hi Thomas,

Good news! Thank you for the update.

Please feel free to contact us on any issues or concerns.