Backup to destination folder directly, bypassing temporary folder

I would like to backup to a destination folder directly, avoiding the need for copying a backup from the temporary folder location to another location on the same disk.

I followed the advice in Using temp folder for backups which seems to suggest that if the backup for the database TestDB is F:\backups\mssql and the temporary folder location is F:\backups\mssql then SqlBackupAndFtp would create the backup and not need to copy it to the folder destination.

But in my testing it does not appear to work this way:

When “Place the backups for each database into its own subfolder” is enabled; it creates the file in the root folder (“F:\backups\mssql”) and then copies it to the database subfolder (“F:\backups\mssql\TestDB”), so the copy operation still occurs

When “Place the backups for each database into its own subfolder” is not enabled; it creates the file in the root folder (“F:\backups\mssql”), copies it to itself and then deletes the backup as part of cleanup.

Is there a way to back up directly to a folder, bypassing the temporary folder?

Hi Matthew_Dunlop,

Sorry, but for no there is no way to do it, perhaps in the future that option will be added.

Thank you for the feature request.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

That is disappointing but please do put this in as a feature request as we would save hours every week when we take full backups of each database on our production servers.

Currently, when we take a full back up of just one of our databases:

• It takes approximately 60 minutes to back up the database to the temporary location including verification
  • It then takes approximately 90 minutes to upload the database to S3 including verification
  • It then takes 50 minutes to copy the temporary backup to another location on the same disk including verification

We could save 50 minutes on our backups for this one database alone, across three servers that’s 150 minutes and this is just one of over 10 databases we have on each server.

It would be a huge productivity boost for us if the temporary backup was kept as the main backup instead of being copied and later deleted.

Hi Matthew_Dunlop,

Thank you for the details. Yes, that feature will be considered by our team.

Thank you for using SQLBackupAndFTP.

Hello, I just wanted to check in and see if there’s any movement on this feature? It’s become a pain point for my organization and I’d love if it could addressed soon.

Hi Matthew_Dunlop,

We apologize, but for now, that option is unavailable. We anticipate it will be added in the future, but there is no specific release date at this time.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you for using SQLBackupAndFTP, and we apologize for any inconvenience.