Backup LOG on SqlExpress

Hi

A well known issue of the SQLExpress Edition of SQL Server is an issue with the Full RecoveryModel.
The problem is that the log is not cleared correctly as in the paid editions of SQL Server.
The Workarround for this is to perform a BACKUP LOG operation just after a BACKUP DATABASE operation.

If you don’t do this the transaction log may just grow forever.

How do I make SQLBackupAndFTP to perform this action?

It has to be just after the BACKUP DATABASE operation as any ongoing transactions between the 2 operations may interfere with the intention of this.

Hi Poul_Christiansen,

Thank you for the details. Please give us some time to check the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Poul_Christiansen,

Thank you for waiting.

SQLBackupAndFTP performs backups of your SQL Server databases via Standard T-SQL Commands in the same way as you do it via SSMS.

To truncate Transaction Logs, you have to have regularly run transaction log backups. You can set a backup schedule as you need at the “Schedule backups” section. Also, you can add the needed scripts to truncate or shrink your transaction log after a backup at the “Run custom scripts” section.

You can find more detail on how to truncate and shrink transaction log on the web.

Also, we provide a 14-day Professional Trial, so you can test it https://sqlbackupandftp.com/download

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you.

Hi
OK - So If I add a custom sql script - is there any way that I can find out which databases where backed up?

It would be a wunderfull little feature if SqlBackupAndFtp would recognize that the SQL Server is an express and the do this automatically during the BACKUP DATABASE process.

Anyway - I could Guess on which databases were actually backup up during this job in the TSQL but to which file do i backup the LOG in the custom statement in order for that particular backup-file also to be included in the backup?

Hi Poul_Christiansen,

Thank you for your reply.

Please find more details on how to manage your transaction log at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/databases/shrink-a-file?view=sql-server-ver15

Thank you for using SQLBackupAndFTP.