• SERVER2
    ** INSTANCE1

JOB2

• SERVER2
    ** INSTANCE2

JOB3

• SVR24APP01
    ** INSTANCE2

We have existing jobs that backup SERVER2\INSTANCE1 and SERVER2\INSTANCE2 that are working as intended. As noted above, SQLBackupAndFTP and JOB1 and JOB2 all reside on the same server.

I created JOB3 to backup SVR24APP01\INSTANCE2 but it’s failing to land data in the staging folder; D:\Pranas.NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup. This folder does exist and I suspect it’s used by JOB1 and JOB2 as well. The difference with JOB3 is it runs from SERVER2 but the MS SQL Server and instance reside on SVR24APP01. For the “Server type” setting in SQLBackupAndFTP, I configured it to “Local SQL Server” as it’s local to the LAN. For the “Server name” setting, I configured it to use SVR24APP01\INSTANCE2.

The “Test” button within each section for all jobs are successful.
There is plenty of disk space to stage these backups.

/// exported log
/// Note that there is not a space between Pranas. and NET. I had to add the space since new users are not allowed to send more than 2 links in a forum post.

2/5/2024 1:23 PM Starting job "SVR24APP01\MSSQL" - "Full". Computer "SERVER2". App v."11.7.3" 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM The backup folder "D:\Pranas. NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup" has "158.141GB" free space. The temporary folder "D:\Pranas. NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup" has "158.141GB" free space 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Backing up "SVR24APP01\MSSQL" SQL Server databases 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Getting maximum file size... 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM The maximum file size: "" 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Backing up "database1" database to .bak file. Backup type: "Full". Checksum: "Disabled" 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Failed to backup "database1" database with "Full" backup type: Cannot open backup device 'D:\Pranas. NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup\database1.bak'. Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Backing up "database2" database to .bak file. Backup type: "Full". Checksum: "Disabled" 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Failed to backup "database2" database with "Full" backup type: Cannot open backup device 'D:\Pranas. NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup\database2.bak'. Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.).
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Backing up "database3" database to .bak file. Backup type: "Full". Checksum: "Disabled" 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Failed to backup "database3" database with "Full" backup type: Cannot open backup device 'D:\Pranas. NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup\database3.bak'. Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.).
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Backing up "database4" database to .bak file. Backup type: "Full". Checksum: "Disabled" 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Failed to backup "database4" database with "Full" backup type: Cannot open backup device 'D:\Pranas. NET\SQLBackupAndFTP\backup\database4.bak'. Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.).
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Job cancelled. Job cancelled by user 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Job "SVR24APP01\MSSQL" finished with "21" errors 
2/5/2024 1:23 PM Can't send email to support@mydomain.com: Local routines database error. Method: "TraceBackupObject". Message: SQL logic error
no such column: DestinationId > SQL logic error
no such column: DestinationId

I recreated JOB3 on SERVER2. The only thing that was different is I did not give the job a custom name. It still fails with the same errors.

For what it’s worth, I have SQLBackupAndFTP v12.7.19 installed locally on SVR24APP01. I configured JOB3 on this server, except the instance being backed up is .\INSTANCE2 (local to the server running SQLBackupAndFTP) and it’s working fine. There is a major version difference which may be a factor. The problem is we run the “Standard” license on SERVER2 while SVR24APP01 is using a trail Professional license that will expire in 11 days, and I have more than 2 databases to backup.

Something that comes to mind is I think SQLBackupAndFTP v11.7.3, as it’s configured on SERVER2, is using D:\Pranas. NET to stage its backup data. Then, when I configure a JOB3 on SERVER2 to backup a database server that is not local to SERVER2, it’s trying to land data in D:\Pranas. NET on SVR24APP01 which does not exist. SVR24APP01 doesn’t even contain a D: volume. Smells like a bug with 11.7.3.

Hello Ken_Teague

After thorough examination, it appears there may be a slight misunderstanding regarding the concept of local SQL Server. Allow me to clarify: local SQL Server denotes a scenario where both SQL Server and SQLBackupAndFTP are installed on the same computer. It seems there might be confusion, as you seem to be assuming that this term refers to situations where they are within the same local network.

If SQLBackupAndFTP and SQL Server are installed on separate computers, it constitutes a remote connection. For further elaboration on this matter, please refer to the following link: Remote SQL Server backups explained | SQLBackupAndFTP's blog

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for choosing SQLBackupAndFTP, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.