A lot of .zip.original files left over

Hi All,
My local backup directory, which is also the temp dir, has a whole bunch of .zip.original files in it from the past year or so from the SQL DB backups. They are filling up the directory and started causing backups to fail due to low storage space. For last night’s backup, I do not have a proper .zip backup, just a .zip.original file.

The files dated all the way back to last December. I deleted all of them up through June.

• Is it safe to delete them all, and what can I do to prevent these from being created in the first place?
  • Is the file from last night’s attempted backup a valid backup?
  • Can I just remove the .original and keep that as my backup?

Hello Tim_Haslett,

Please note that it is not advisable to use the same folders for SQLBackupAndFTP temporary files and for storing the backups. We recommend using different folders for these purposes.

We have checked the issue from our side, and SQLBackupAndFTP has successfully removed the temporary files. Additionally, you have the option to set up the auto-delete feature to remove outdated backups automatically.

SQLBackupAndFTP operates in the following manner:

1. Creates a backup file in a temporary folder
  2. Compresses the backup file in the temporary folder
  3. Removes the backup file after compression
  4. Sends the compressed backup file to the selected destination places
  5. Removes the compressed backup file from the temporary folder

This means you need to ensure that your temporary folder has enough free space to store both the backup file and its compressed version simultaneously.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you!