Version 12.3.11 crashes on launch

Hi! I just installed version 12.3.11. When I launch the app, it crashes immediately.

I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1909.

Here is the error stack from the Windows Event Log:

Application: SBF.Application.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).
at System.Environment.FailFast(System.String)
at .‌‎‍‬‪‫‌‭‪‎‌​‫‎‫‭‫‌‫‭‏​‏‬‎‎​‎‮()
at …cctor()
at Net.Pranas.SQLBackupAndFTP.Form.MainWindow…ctor()
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo, System.Object[], System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, System.Reflection.BindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder, System.Object[], System.Globalization.CultureInfo, System.Object[])
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, System.Object[])
at System.Xaml.Schema.SafeReflectionInvoker.CreateInstanceCritical(System.Type, System.Object[])
at System.Xaml.Schema.XamlTypeInvoker.CreateInstance(System.Object[])
at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CreateInstance(System.Xaml.XamlType, System.Object[])
at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.PartialTrustTolerantRuntime.CreateInstance(System.Xaml.XamlType, System.Object[])
at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.Logic_CreateAndAssignToParentStart(MS.Internal.Xaml.Context.ObjectWriterContext)
at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.WriteStartMember(System.Xaml.XamlMember)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.TransformNodes(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfoConsumer, MS.Internal.Xaml.Context.XamlContextStack`1<System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlFrame>, System.Windows.Markup.IStyleConnector)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext)
at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at Net.Pranas.SQLBackupAndFTP.App.Main()

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Hi Christian_Vachon,

Thank you for the details. To resolve the issue, could you please:

1. Add SQLBackupAndFTP to your antivirus\profiler exception list?
  2. Install the latest version of .NET Framework https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net472
  3. Check the messages in your Windows Even Log that have been generated before and after the issue

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your reply. As you suggested, I did the following:

• Added SqlBackupAndFtp to my antivirus exception list.
  • Reinstalled .NET Framework 4.8 (it was already installed, so I chose the “Repair” option.)

I also reinstalled SqlBackupAndFtp, version 12.3.11.

Still no luck getting the app to run… Here are the errors that are triggered when launching the app (from Windows Event Viewer):

https://pastebin.com/xhZf4427

Thank you

Hi Christian_Vachon,

Thank you for the details. For further investigation, we need more details. Could you please open the connection window, click on the “info” button, copy the command and run it via the Command Line to check if you can connect manually.

Hi Alexander,

At this time, I cannot open the connection window, because the application won’t launch at all. It crashes before the UI appears.

Hi Christian_Vachon,

Thank you for the details.

Could you please run SQLBackupAndFTP as a process. You can do it in the following way:

1. Run Command Line and go to the directory where SQLBackupAndFTP is installed
  2. Run sqlbak.service.exe -console (Do not press “Any Key”)

If you get any error messages please send us a screenshot of them.

To run SQLBackupAndFTP and tune a backup job, please execute sbf.application.exe -ignoreStatusService

Hi Alexander,

Thanks again for your help. I did exactly what you suggested, but I still cannot see the UI.

When I run sbf.application.exe -ignoreStatusService, I get this exception:

https://pastebin.com/WuHFNAz6

Hi Christian_Vachon,

To investigate this case, we need more details.

Could you please do the following:

1. Save the NLog.config file https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsxhu9gz1k0rqf5/NLog.config?dl=0 into the folder where SQLBackupAndFTP is installed, by default it C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLBackupAndFTP
  2. Restart SQLBackupAndFTP (SQL Server Backup) Windows Service
  3. Run the application to reproduce the issue
  4. Send us all files from the following folder C:\Log

To make the logs private, please send them to support@sqlbackupandftp.com

I have the same issue. I have tried

sqlbak.service.exe -console

and In the event viewer, I see

Application: SqlBak.Service.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).
at System.Environment.FailFast(System.String)
at .​‏​‭‍‬‏‌‫‭‫‬‍‬​‬‍‎​​​‍‫‎‌‮()
at …cctor()
at Pranas.Net.SqlBak.Service.SqlBakService+<>c__DisplayClass2_0.b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Faulting application name: SqlBak.Service.exe, version: 2.14.23.0, time stamp: 0x5f59063d
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0x80131623
Fault offset: 0x00007ff9eb1f127a
Faulting process id: 0x61d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d691bcaa79f429
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SQLBackupAndFTP\SqlBak.Service.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: babd1b6e-beb1-4c9d-9889-deeea7e01694
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hi Jay_Janarthanan,

Could you please try to install the latest release of .NET Framework and check if it resolves the issue?

I have 4.8.04161 . I do not see this issue on other PC’s I have installed. My PC is a Windows 10 Pro Insider Prview

Hi Jay_Janarthanan,

Could you please let us know, do you use any antivirus or any other soft responsible for security? If yes, please add SQLBackupAndFTP to its exception list.

Also, please try to use .Net Repair tool.

Sorry, but that issue cannot be resolved from our side.