PostgreSQL Incremental

I would like to request that the PostgreSQL databases have the option for incremental or differential backups. This can be accomplished by adding the option to backup the WAL file of the PostgreSQL installation, separate from the DB.

1 Like

Hi Taylor_Cooper,

Thank you for the feature request.

Coming from MSSQL I’m surprised to see this isn’t an option for Postgresql. A backup tool that doesn’t support some kind of standard diff and transaction logs backup and restore to point in time seems a bit odd.

Is there a reason this is more difficult with postgresql?

Hi David_Meagor,

PostgreSQL is a relatively new feature in SQLBackupAndFTP, and we are gradually expanding the application. One of the directions for the near future is incremental/differential backups for MySQL/PostgreSQL Servers.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Actually the tool utilizes pg_dump which is not exactly but exactly different then backup operation (let’s say binary backup). For implementing point in time backups and recovery any third party tool should be used for example pg_backrest, so you will need to run some ssh commands. As soon as windows has it’s own built-in ssh client You can use the option “Run custom scripts” for this purpose.

Actually I do not see any problem for this great tool to use pg_backrest instead (beside) pg_dump, but anywhere You have the option to implement PIT backups using this tool.

If the combination of pg_dump and any other binary backup tool (for example pg_backrest) will be implemented as the built-in feature in this app so It will be the killer feature for all MSSQL guys came to PostgreSQL :wink:

Hi Michael_Highguy,

Thank you for the details and for the request. We’ve forwarded the details to our dev team for consideration.

Thank you.

Hi Alexander. Is there any progress with implementing the incremental backups within the application? Without this feature the tool step-by-step becomes useless for our environments due to theirs’s growing.

Hi Michael_Highguy,

Yes, we have plans to add this option in the future. Sorry, but we cannot provide you with ETA for this feature.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi, 7 months later… I see that the “Standard” edition and higher offer differential backup. Is it a new feature and the thread hasn’t been updated? Is that done via PITR/WAL, or how?

I’m not familiar with pg_backrest, but I’m not familiar with PostgreSQL syntax in general. :laughing: That’s why I’m on the forum of a Windows GUI app for it.
But this is what the docu has to offer on PITR: PostgreSQL: Documentation: 9.5: Continuous Archiving and Point-in-Time Recovery (PITR)

Hi Drew_Lahat,

Sorry, but for PostgreSQL only full backups are available. Thank you for your request, we’ve forwarded it to our dev team for consideration.

Thank you!